View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 07:09 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
They may well have thought Pouliot was BPA.

But if - as you suggested - they defer to picking defensemen because they've shown they can develop them (and shy away from selecting a highly-skilled forward because they don't have confidence they can develop him), then that would go beyond BPA, and be a serious problem that would need to get addressed rather than avoided.
BPA =/= most skilled.

If I have two guys in front of me, one is a flashy 1st line potential winger who has some question marks, is developing in a league I'm not very familiar with, or currently within an organization I'm not fond of, and is the definition of a boom or bust prospect that more than likely has to switch positions to fit into my team. The other is an offensive defenseman who has top 4 potential (more than likely middle pairing, but has real PPQB potential) but plays for an organization that I'm comfortable with, has the tools and attributes that I look for in defensemen I have successfully developed in the past, and fits what I want to do...the guy with top line potential represents the best potential, but not the best player, in my opinion.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote