View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 08:43 PM
tempest2i
Feral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
LTIR is yet another way around it, true.

I think you bring up a good point about the perception of the contract: You said an out clause is a reason Lu's contract should be viewed as questionable. I think that's facetious. An out clause is insurance - that's it. When you sign a player like this, you are doing so based on his character and longevity. The out clause is a doomsday device that need not ever be used. But it's there only as an added level of protection should it be required.

So really, is anyone thinking about the out clause every year Lu provides starter level goaltending at a 5.3m cap-hit? Nope. They just sit back and enjoy the cap-circumvention.

It is just astounding how his contract continues to be misinterpreted. A team like DET would understand his deal because they are currently benefiting from the structure themselves. The cheat BDCs are excellent and people don't even recognize it.
I view these long term BDC's like a loan that you're not paying off, just kicking down the road to deal with another day. That's why I don't see one of those contracts as having tremendous value.

You're basically taking a ticking time bomb off someone's books. If I'm a GM who doesn't plan on keeping my job for more than a few seasons, sure I'll take Luongo on my team. Because I won't have to deal with that contract when it stops looking like a good deal.