View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Johnny Bower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... sure thing C58. He was "vivacious" and "outgoing". Pilsbury Dough Boy, and guess what?. I didnt like him as a Goalie. Poke check?... over-rated. Chadwick and innumerable others superior. He was a mediocre goalie on a defensively strong Leafs team. I "got" Johnnys "poke check" and guess what? Looked a Hell of a lot like Glenn Halls' in practice, execution, and I preferred the Chicago style. More slide than slam.,,, still dont understand how you K-Beckers could figure y'all had the inside track on Goaltending but hey ho.... no doubt youll be around to edify.
There are reasons why Johnny Bower was an AHL goalie until the age of 34 with the exception of one season. He did not move as well as most of the O6 goalies, bottom third.

Until the Leafs miracle playoff run late in the 1958-59 season the point could be made that Ed Chadwick and Bower were on a par, maybe a slight edge to Chadwick.

Once Stanley and Brewer were added at the start of the 1958-59 season, the Leaf defence was stabilized thru 1964-65 when Brewer left the team, a benefit to any goalie.Bower got hot at the right time and ran with the job.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote