View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
There might be less competition in the KHL, but you don't have a lockout every five years, you get to be near home and family. It's a good deal for Russian players, a great deal.

They can get the "highest level of competition" at the Olympics. Besides, the talent level between the NHL and KHL shrinks considerably in lockout years. I'm sure their competitive juices are flowing just fine.

"The fans" are a wash, as both leagues have fans.

There's simply no good reason for them to be in the NHL unless it pays substantially better.
What in heaven's name are you talking about?
The KHL and NHL are not at all at the same level. Right now there's a lockout, so more NHLers are there, but lockout aside, there is no comparison. A lot of russians are leaving more money from the KHL to play in the NHL.
They come to the NHL because it's the most elite league in the world. Money is the only leverage the KHL has over the NHL. That's how they attract older players there.

Quote:
I expect that many players will retire.
Ya? Wanna put a wager as to how many 34 year old retire?
Quote:
25% last lockout, 13% this lockout, as well as no pay at all every five or six years due to the Bettman lockout cycle, that adds up to a lot.
I can tell you it doesn't add up to a 75% loss, or that you have no proof to claim such a thing. I can also ask you how many players do you think actually live up to their salary on a yearly basis. How much of his contract did Gomez really deserve?
Also, say the players agree to the 13% rollback and start from day 1, Kovalchuk loses about 11M over his 13 remaining years. If they hold out all year, he loses 11M.
Same god damn thing.