View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 11:07 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What in heaven's name are you talking about?
The KHL and NHL are not at all at the same level. Right now there's a lockout, so more NHLers are there, but lockout aside, there is no comparison. A lot of russians are leaving more money from the KHL to play in the NHL.
They come to the NHL because it's the most elite league in the world. Money is the only leverage the KHL has over the NHL. That's how they attract older players there.
I'm sure Malkin, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin are making more in the NHL than they would in the KHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I can tell you it doesn't add up to a 75% loss, or that you have no proof to claim such a thing. I can also ask you how many players do you think actually live up to their salary on a yearly basis. How much of his contract did Gomez really deserve?
Also, say the players agree to the 13% rollback and start from day 1, Kovalchuk loses about 11M over his 13 remaining years. If they hold out all year, he loses 11M.
Same god damn thing.
1) It's not hard to see that if you have 40% more income you might have 100% more savings or something. Your costs might not go up as high as your income.

2) Some players get more than they deserve, some get less. That's what happens when contracts are signed before the work happens, which is the norm in all industries. Yes Gomez got more than he deserved, but Pacioretty and Subban got less.

3) What the NHL asked on day 1 was a 25% roll back, so Kovalchuk would lose 25 million. He would then lose even more in five or six years when the next lockout happens, losing more money due to lost playing time, and whatever the next rollback is that Bettman has in mind. The players should not set a precedent of losing 25% every five or six years.

The players offer includes a demand for more revenue sharing. This reduces the probability of future lockouts, and almost certainly delays them. It's a great investment for the players to hold off.