View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 12:12 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, teams do rank every player in the draft. I was more stating that as I would have liked to see if Shero could have potentially got some other deals in place including that pick, whether that'd be moving up or down in the draft.

That being said, I can almost guarantee that Shero and Rutherford had that deal in place way before the draft, so Shero was more than likely knowing exactly what he was going to do if things came to fruition.

I don't think it would have had an impact. The trade was completed 15-20 minutes prior to the draft starting, and the Pens were working on the deal from at least the night before (after Staal had rejected their contract). It doesn't take long to work on a trade to move up a spot or 2 or 3.

Rielly & Lindholm are the two guys who I am intrigued and impressed enough with to say that they may be clear-cut better players (and have higher upside) than DP at this time, but it would have cost at least our 2nd round pick, plus probably another fairly high pick to move up. Toronto really loved Rielly, and Anaheim really loved Lindholm; so even if the Pens wanted to trade up, there may not have really been a willing trade partner. Extra time wouldn't have changed that if that were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats cool to hear. In term of elite skill I would say its Yakapov, Galchenyuk, Rielly, DePo, Grigs and Teravainen. Sure you have mature kids like Murray but I could easily see him becoming a Sydor type. Those other kids have skills that can't be taught.

Pouliot vs Rielly is a good one. Both are really skilled but I like Pouliots compete level more. Plus you have to think the Pens have been watching Morrow and know everything they need to know about Pouliot.
I disagree. I'm high on DP, but Rielly is at another level. His compete level is extremely high, his skating and speed is superlative, and because of his size/fitness/compete level, he probably has the ability to be more of an all-around Dman than Pouliot.

At this point I would say Rielly has Letang potential (#1 all-around Dman who can put up huge numbers), and Pouliot has Goligoski potential (#2 or 3 Dman who can put up lots of points, is underrated and effective defensively, but will have automatic limitations due to lack of size & physicality).

I know DP looks to have a bit more grit than GoGo, so it's not a perfect comparison, but I believe it's a pretty good comparison. Lindholm, on the other hand, could be like a Kenny Jonsson in his prime, which is a pretty special player and a legit #1 who logs huge minutes -- even if he doesn't put up as many points as the other two.