View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 11:43 PM
foshizzle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
Today, Adam Oates was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame. History says he was a great player, but it will likely -- and fairly -- forget to mention that he finished his excellent career with the Edmonton Oilers. Unfortunately, his finale coincided with the beginning and end of the last lockout.

I was an Oiler fan back then, but I can't say I remember much about his play or contribution to the team.

From Hockey DB, his statline reads:
GP G A P PIM +/-
2003-04 Edmonton Oilers NHL 60 2 16 18 8 0

Clearly, Oates was just a shadow of his former production in his one season wearing Copper and Blue, but his contributions would surely be felt by the young squad down the line.

When the lockout ended and the play resumed the following year, the Oilers enjoyed breakout seasons from centres Shawn Horcoff and Jarret Stoll. Much of the players' newly-found success was found in the face off circle, an area of the game in which Oates was served as a crucial mentor.

This is as far as I go.

What do you remember about Adam Oates as an Edmonton Oiler? (Good, bad, ugly?)
He had a huge impact on shaping some of our players at the time. In the face-off circle is the obvious. How he positioned players based on who he was facing on the draw was another- saw a lot of that- and noticed Horcoff/Stoll doing a lot more. One important one people forget was Oates was an excellent penalty killer throughout his career- and he clearly imparted that wisdom on the young team. I am and always will be a big Oates fan

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote