View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Too much overlap for this to be a reason. Plenty of coaches coached successfully in the 80s, 90s, even 2000s.

I think the emphasis changed but not the ability of the best coaches so much.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that Scotty Bowman was a better defensive coach in 2002 than he was in 1992 or whatever. But coaches have to work with what they have and in the environment they are in too.

I do agree that today teams are practically all defense first now, and coaches are much more strict enforcing it, which results in a lot of boring chippy hockey, though.

True player shifts were longer primarily in the early 80s. They shortened quite a bit by the later 80s so again.. so I am not sure how this is a good reason.

I think this is primarily a change in how teams are assembled now.

In the 80s teams often had scoring depth. Now they have players who can skate and check and not much else.

Secondly I don't think the drop off is especially on defense. I think it is just more noticeable in a defenseman.

I take a real issue with this.. goalies didn't stink. They just played a reactive style with much smaller and heavier equipment.

Goalies today have to master a technique that gives them a big edge over the goalies of the past in that they can often just let the puck hit them with little chance of a shooter beating them.

I give them full credit for playing the odds (lets face it, its smart and effective!) but I do believe that equipment advances helped a lot of that change.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that 80s Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque and Coffey for an example aren't better than any player similar player playing today.

I agree but I think that it has to do with how players developed in that generation.

They had more access to ice. More free time and less distractions.

That training on defensive systems pretty much from childhood is a big factor in many of us believing that players today are generally less creative.

Back when we had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to school, people played hockey for fun. You tend to play a lot more when it is fun, and that ends up being an awful lot of creative practice.

The pace may look slower but that is because there is actually flow to the game at times instead of broken plays and chip outs and chip ins.

Top players from 1985 could skate with the top players from today quite easily. Particularly with lighter and better equipment.

I disagree again that the goalies were terrible. They were just different. You get in net with the pads they had in 1985 and stand in front of a few Al MacInnis slapshots and then come back here and tell me how terrible they were.
^^^^^ This is my view to a tee. Could not have said it better and you've saved me a LOT of typing.

As to the original question, yes the '80s (and the '70s for that matter) were more exciting.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote