vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
The roll now, given what we've seen...

Määttä - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Vainio
Vainonen - Pokka
Parkkonen
Lindell will be in the WJC team if healthy, I’m 99.873% certain of it . Vainonen hasn’t played a single official game under Rindell’s coaching. Parkkonen I don’t like, lacks tools to be truly effective in board battles and doesn’t bring extra value to offensive side of the game. Vainio is a decent D, but I don’t think he’ll be a 2nd paring guy at the WJC’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Nykopp was another pleasant surprise. Brings some much-needed size as well.
Nykopp has some good attributes for a utility player, I think he has a good chance of making the WJC team. On the other hand the Sweden game didn’t display him in the best light, with better play he could have prevented Sweden’s first 4 goals. Sweden’s first goal was a result of Nykopp giving a bad pass on the defensive blue line, Emil Molin takes the puck, moves in and scores. On Sweden’s second goal Nykopp gives way too much room for Molin who gets a free whack to a rebound, which in turn leads to another rebound that Lindholm cashes in. On Sweden’s third goal Nykopp could have prevented Boyce-Rotevall's initial shot with better gap control. On Sweden’s 4th goal Nykopp lacks awareness and leaves the slot open, this forces Rekonen to continue with his coverage of Boyce-Rotevall and as a result the weak side becomes unattended. Hopefully Nykopp gets more experience from tougher games, playing in Jr.A isn’t going to prepare him for the WJC’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
We have to remember that Ikonen was best player from Finland at lake placid at much better competition than this was and Finland had better team.
From what I remember Ristolainen, Aaltonen and Määttä were the top Finns at Lake Placid. Ikonen had his moments, but excluding his scoring he wasn’t that indispensable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I'd be willing to cut Haapala (in addition to Ikonen) if we could find someone with a little less skill but way more size and grit. Yes, it is what it is, but I believe Barkov is our biggest asset and putting him in a line with no power forward would make things much more difficult for him. Anyway, hopefully Rindell will figure things out during training camp.
I think Haapala is too good to be dropped out of the final team, looking at the available alternatives doesn’t offer enough justification for cutting him. Barkov and Haapala find each other on the ice, breaking that duo might not make the team better as a whole.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote