Thread: Today I...
View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 07:22 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Technically it was last night, but since I didn't get home from the game until 12:30 am, I'm counting it as today...

The face-offs in our end where I'm the one who goes up against their point guy (I'm a winger) - those things have always given me trouble. First, I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing, only that they wanted me to stand out of my usual spot. Then, I knew where to stand but never actually accomplished much by being there. Then, I knew where to be and what to do, but wasn't ever able to do it - either the guy took a shot and it just went past me, or he never got the shot so I didn't have anything to do.

Last night we had one guy who was their good guy - everything went through him. Everyone knew that THAT was the guy to watch. We went up for a faceoff right in front of our goalie and I saw him standing there, waiting for the puck to drop and thought "oh crap...he's their best guy, we're right in front of our net, and it's MY job to stop him. Crap, crap, crap!"

Well, for the first time ever, it worked out for me. The puck dropped, he got it, I was in the way - he took a nice slapper and PLUNK, it bounced right off of my shinguard. We pushed it out of the zone (it might have even been me who whacked it out, I was so gobsmacked that I had actually stopped the puck that I was on autopilot for a few seconds) and that made my evening.

We were down by 1 going into the last 2 minutes. Ended up tying it up, then winning in a shoot-out. We lost last week in a shoot-out, so everyone was very happy with the results.