View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
The NHL draft only governs the NHL, not the entire hockey world. No player is free to choose their NHL team upon entering the league, but they are free to play in other hockey leagues.
The NHL has a monopoly on elite level hockey in North America, that's limitation enough.

Quote:
It's not uncommon for entry-level workers to a company to work in a location not of their choosing.
That compares to the assignment of NHL players to farm clubs. I don't have an issue with that. Your example is not comparable to the Entry Draft however. A valid comparison would be an "Entry Draft" held by the 30 top car manufacturers in North America assigning entry-level workers to certain manufacturers. Worker A can only work for Ford, Worker B can only work for GM and so on. Does that sound legal to you?

Quote:
When my grandmother became a nurse in Ontario, she was assigned to a town in Northern Ontario for her first two years.
The preservation of the health care system is in the public interest. Like all young men in my country I was obliged to serve either in the army (for 6 months) or in a social service provider (for 9 months). I had to work in a nursing home and even though it wasn't my choice to serve at all in the first place, I accept that the state can force you to do so for the common good of the people. But only the state (monopoly on the use of force), with private enterprises (like the NHL) it's a different matter. Public interest? The NHL Entry Draft only serves the business interests of NHL franchises and maybe (just maybe) the interests of North American hockey fans. That's not enough to deny employees their rights/freedoms (and we're talking about rights/freedoms here for they are accepted and observed as such in other business and industries).

Quote:
Slavery?
I have explicitly stated that it's not slavery we're talking about.

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote