View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Scheifele was definitely the most impressive member of Team OHL for me. Best player, most NHL-ready on that ice surface, both sides. I would also say that Wilson was very noticeable... but he's a risky proposition. In a North American venue, maybe it's a little different, but I'm not sure that bringing him to an IIHF event on big ice would work out. It might or it might not. Kind of have to look at how the rest of the team shakes out, the team will need scoring too, and can't have too many non-scorers, even if they can bring the physical play like Wilson.

Leivo was solid again too. Guys like Strome and Puempel continue to underwhelm, as did Rychel, Domi, Griffith... I didn't think there was a lot of offensive creativity that came to the forefront there. Even while crediting the job the Russian D are doing, some of these guys who are big producers in the OHL really didn't get much going.

I liked Basso, had never really paid that much attention to him before. Hamilton was of course Hamilton and will be a mainstay for Team Canada. Corrado was good and the others like Pelech and Percy were solid. Harrington always impresses me. I think of Harrington and Hamilton as the two locks on defense from the OHL out of all the players who suited up for the OHL in this miniseries.

There are really only those two D and Scheifele who I think of now as Team Canada guys for sure. Strome is a very likely 4th but still doesn't really impress me. He was better this game than last, however.

I could see Binnington as the backup. But there will be enough of a battle for that spot that it could go to most any of the contenders, depending on who does well in camp or seems to fit character-wise and all that. I doubt there is going to be anything to carry away from these games that really matters in terms of picking the goalies. The OHL games were nowhere near as interesting as the Q games IMHO. Russians were flat, and few players either way stepped up.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote