Thread: Value of: Defensive help to Ottawa
View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
GoTeamDom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
You are not getting Kassian for Greening.

Zibenjad is the best fit for the canucks because of his ability to play C and W.

Zbad+Wiercoch+cond 1st (if edeler resigns in Ottawa) is a nice deal.

Not sure Canucks makes that type of deal, we are trying to win the cup here.

And Edler will be resigned IMO.
I like this deal too. I feel like the Canucks would have to kick something the other way because I would also prefer Z over Silfverberg. Ideally Mason Raymond, but I think Jannik Hansen would be a better fit for the Sens.

To VAN
Zibanejad
Wiercioch
Conditional Pick

To OTT
Edler
Hansen

From the Canucks standpoint, the Canucks are still a Stanley Cup contender, and save money in the short term. More importantly, you extend your playoff window and set up the post-Sedin forward core of Kesler, Zibanejad, Kassian, Jensen and hopefully Gaunce.

You don't have to replace Edler with Wiercioch; you're replacing him with Ballard who will play with Garrison, and Wiercioch/Tanev will be an excellent pairing going forward. Connauton looks like a player to watch in the future, and he is close as well. With 4 dman already on longterm contracts, I think you're objectively better off dealing Edler than Ballard.

The Sens get the best player in the deal (presently, at least) in Edler and will own one of the best Ds in the league, rivalling Pittsburgh. Pending UFA but he will be an easy re-sign for the Sens. Hansen is a 20/20 spark plug who plays bigger than his size and has playoff warrior written all over him. He's of the same cloth as Matt Cooke and Jarkko Ruutu, but without the negative reputations that follow those two around. I really hesitate to put Hansen in any deals, but I feel he would have a good home in Ottawa so I'm OK with it.

I think the Vancouver Canucks are in an interesting position going into the 2013 season. They are a team good enough to complete with the elite teams of the league (Pitt, Washington, Chicago, Boston, NYR, Kings, SJS, Philly, Detroit), but the future is charging at them hard, especially close to home in Edmonton and Colorado. I would not be surprised if they finished as low as 10th in the Conference next year.

It is my opinion that the Canucks should build with a long-term horizon with the intent of staying among the top tier of teams (like Detroit), as opposed hanging around as a playoff team (like Calgary). Trading Edler and Luongo for futures will go a long way to ensuring this will happen.

Canucks and Sens have a history of doing win-win trades. Hopefully this is one too.

Last edited by GoTeamDom: 11-13-2012 at 08:22 AM.
GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote