View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Well dude, it's just my opinion. He along with O'Byrne were often put out on the Powerplay, so consider this when you look at his plus /minus number, in minus 17.

He was often not playing against the opposition top lines (that came down to Johnson, along with sometimes Wilson / Hunwick or other).

I often saw opposition forwards & defensemen skate right around him.

In fact, I remember seeing him getting owned by Bieksa, which irked me at the time, because I dislike the Canucks with a passion.

I also remember reading a number of articles where he, himself was not happy with his own play, so why can't I say my opinion about him?

BUT, I appreciate he logged a team high 1,675 minutes of ice time. Remember though, Hejda had +3 games, four times this season. That means for the other 77 games, he was minus 29.

Stats aside though, I saw what I saw. A player who I believe could use their body more. The man is 6 foot, 4 inches and 237 pounds for goodness sakes. Show me. SHOW MEEEE THE MONEY.

Don't take my word for it though: Here is some prose written by Adrian Dater and Mike Chambers of The Denver Post about him:

+ Bottom line: Hejda is Colorado’s most extended player, signed through 2014-15 — $3.25 million X three. That and his combined minus-37 rating over the past three seasons (granted, each with a non-playoff team) means he’s probably not going anywhere. His trade value is poor. So let’s hope the affable Hejda becomes the player Colorado management and fans envisioned.

+ Suffice to say, Hejda is looking to have a better second year in Colorado. And management and fans have reason to expect more from the Czech Republic native, who turns 34 on June 18. Hejda (6-foot-3, 230 pounds) was expected to be a tough, physical force on the back end, but he doesn’t play intimidating hockey (just 24 PIM in 81 games) and he only delivered 142 hits (fourth on the team) and 134 blocked shots (second on the team). Given his big salary and opportunity, those numbers are disappointing.

+ But you always have to go back to plus-minus to “review” players like Hejda, because that’s really all he cares about. Don’t believe your little league anonymous blogger — plus-minus is hockey’s best overall statistic, because it’s how hockey players judge themselves. Especially role players, like own-zone defensemen and fourth-line forwards. And Hejda surely hates the fact he was minus-17 — a negative five even-strength goals behind the next worst, Milan Hejduk (minus-12).

Ivan13, I, along with I'm sure Jan himself, his coaches, his management & others hopes he has a much better year when and if we get under way again. Don't know how that is face palm worthy.

Someone said above he's not a pylon. I don't know guys, from what I saw, he the epitomy of one.

EDIT: And Hannan was a very, very good shut down D-man, who had a gritty edge to him. Wish we never traded him away all things considered today. That original contract of his though ! Wow.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

With Hejda's TOTAL PP icetime of 6:10 for 81 games played...(averages out to 4 seconds per game) and with O'Byrne's TOTAL PP icetime of 2:07 of PP time in 74 games played...(averages out to 1 second per game) [both lowest on the team] how on earth can you come out and make a statement like this, and expect anyone to take your opinion seriously??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus-minus

The plus–minus statistic is not affected by power play goals

It's the 3rd sentence in the wiki and generally, considered common hockey knowledge.

Last edited by TP: 11-14-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: mod
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote