View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

vCash: 500
I believe the repercussions of a season long lockout will be similar to what we see in baseball in 1994. Josh Georges does have a good point about the fact that fan apathy is much worse than it was in 2004.

In 2004, the fans were 100% behind the owners and their quest to change the economic landscape and implement a salary cap. This was especially supportive in small markets like Edmonton and Calgary who were sick and tired of big market teams like Toronto and New York raiding their top talents because they can afford to pay what these players ask.

This lockout is sheer greed shown on both sides. I blame both sides equally. I blame the owners for orchestrating the whole CBA talks in a very short-sided matter, especially with that initial offer back in July to piss off the PA. I would argue if the NHL offered 50/50 back in July, we would've had a full season. The players are just as much to blame. Sure I understand their whole "principle" stance, but at the end of the day, they're millionaires and its hard for working class citizens like myself to have any sympathy.

With that said, a lost season because millionaires and billionaires can't figure out how to divide a 3.3 billion dollar revenue pie isn't going to fly with fans. The last lockout, the NHL had so many assets to market their game: Crosby, Ovechkin, new rule changes, shootouts etc. What does the NHL have this time to win back fans?

This is going to be like post-MLB strike IMO. Attendance will drop especially in prominent American markets. Revenue takes a hit and loss of sponsors. We all know how devastating the strike was on baseball and it took years for the league to recover.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote