View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 09:23 AM
GF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post

What's better for the retail plaza, hoping for 12,000 spillover Coyotes fans 45 nights a year or having $15 million spent wisely to promote / attract business directly to the retail center?

If the city is doing this for Westgate, they're going about it completely the wrong way. And if restuarants and retail places set up business relying completely on the 12,000 or so fans the Coyotes pull in 45 nights a year, then those businesses were doomed to fail, and their closure was only inevitable.
When I went to Jobing for a hockey game, there were at the most 9000 persons in the stands. The 12000 avg comes from tickets sold but not actual at the game persons. Out of these 9000, how many really shopped at Westgate? 1000? 2000? Besides bar and restaurants, nothing was open after the game.

So basically, CoG is throwing 15m$ a year to save a few restaurants and bars... This "investment" brings about 3m$ a year to CoG. Not a very smart investment. I agree that paying that same money to make Westgate more competitive, either with paying beer, giving 20$ bills or making it a tax free zone would bring much more traffic and paying customers than Coyotes games.

I think the Coyotes should stay if an owner can make it work. Not by subsidizing losses digging a 12m$ hole every year for 20 years.