View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
"I think playing in a hockey market is great," said Luongo. "Playing in one is a preference for sure. Playing in a place like Florida with anonymity - to go out somewhere and have a dinner with your family and relax and stuff is great. When you're on the ice, being able to play in a building that's rocking, sold out and the fans are passionate about their team - as a hockey player you always want to be in that type of market."

Here is a quote about his preference from a TSN interview, as i said his pfeernce is to play in a hockey market. Not saying he won't go elsewhere just saying thats what it is. I don't see Edm or Chitown as prefered gillis choices as Lou could directly make him look foolish. I have said it before, my wanting him at the right price has more to do with where the leafgs are now and what then can afford to give up going forward. We are not one player away, we are him plus others. That has to be kept in my mind as a leaf fan. That has nothing to do with Lou as a player. Like I said before, he won't go for as little as Leaf fans want but I also don't think he gets as much as Nucks would like, I think it will be somewhere in between. And so do many others, but in the end we will see what he gets traded for.

Couple of things here:

- Saying Gillis and Burke might have to meet in the middle isn't exactly groundbreaking. There will be compromise. However, Gillis has to bring in value commensurate of Luongo's calibre. So Burke can start as low as he wants, but until he offers up a certain amount of value, his offers won't be entertained. And they haven't been... No meeting between Lu and Burke has occurred.

- If you feel the Leafs aren't at the point of bringing in a talent the level of Luongo, I won't fault you for it. Maybe they aren't. But if Burke is going to bid, he's doing it because he feels TO is ready. Once that happens, there are no half measures. I don't imagine Gillis would care if Burke needed Luongo for a song, just because he had trepidations about his team's status. Either he's all in, or he's out IMO.

- I just point this out because you again cited CLB and EDM as non-ideal destinations, for one reason or another. Actually, _every_ destination besides FLA is non-ideal here, even TO. So this point is meaningless I should think.

- Lastly, Luongo does not _insist_ on a hockey market. Which was my point. He prefers, but he does not demand. Essentially, he props both types of locals in his quotes. He expresses the ease of daily life living in a place like FLA, where hockey is not king, and says there are positives to that as well. At the same time, he wants passionate fans. It will be difficult for him to get both from the same team. Lu will have to give up one thing to get the other. All that matters is that the overall package is enough to entice him to join that team. That's ultimately what matters.