View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 12:51 PM
redbull
game on

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I never complained about the Nelson pick. If he were to become a solid 3rd line 2 way center with size that played on the Island for years than I would have been happy. For the last pick in the 1st roud thats pretty good, most guys drafted never makie it to the NHL or dont stay long. Im just stating that Im excited because Nelson is exceeding my expectaions is all. I dont remember his name being talked about in 2010 as a 1st rounder. I know in the MINN HS hockey community his name was big.

Also, are you saying that we as fans are not allowed to have certain expectations for our players or draft picks? Because thats Ridiculous in its self.
not to speak for _illicit_ but I think his comment was not directed at you, but to fans in general that seem to project a player's upside right after the draft, rather than allow the player to develop and see what kind of player he can become, IN TIME.

Fans do this to everyone, but Isles fans are especially bad at this (probably because the team has sucked for so long that the draft is more exciting than the games, especially after November 16th (ie. when they are typically mathematically eliminated from the playoffs

There are MANY posts on this very board that were limiting Tavares' upside, even AFTER he played a year with the Islanders.

Also, as a general rule, I don't think draft position always related to upside. Sometimes, a sure-fire pick who'll make the NHL and never be more than a 2nd line support player can be a top ten overall YET a boom-or-bust type player might be a 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th rounder. It's impossible to say.

In Nelson's case, the first time I saw him play in college (was in his sophomore year) you can tell he had some pretty special tools, but had a long way to go in his development. He's starting to show what kind of player the NYI HOPED he might become one day, and he still has a ways to go, in my opinion. But he's looking like a lock for some NHL time sooner than later!