View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Agree,no question Strome has gotten stronger though as I posted above, he's not gained a lot of weight. Niagara site lists him at 6"1'192 so the size issue is not a concern since he'll naturally get
a little bigger and another off season working out with Tavaras' trainers.
He just looks WAY SMALLER than that indicated size and I'm not sure why. I'm thinking he must have really small shoulder pads (like many stick-handling-type players have). OR it's his skating style, being a bit hunched over as he skates maybe.

He looks like a 5'10" - 170lbs type player out there.

Nail Yakupov is listed at 5'11" 190 and he seems far bigger and stronger than Strome does. Yakupov is "thicker" and a much stronger skater (more powerful skater and stronger on the puck) than Strome so maybe it blurs the pure size aspect of their game - I don't know.

If he is in-fact 6'1" and 190 then we have very little to worry about. As you say, with a couple of years worth of skating, strength & conditioning, he'll be a pretty good Islander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I thought I'd throw this out there...

I actually don't mind at all that this lockout might cost us the entire NHL season for two main reasons...

1. I honestly think the rags were cup favorites had the season been played.
2. The Isles have made such seriously boneheaded decisions in terms of their prospects in the past few years that I seriously love that no decisions have to be made and guys like Strome, Nino, Donovan, Nelson, Cizikas, and others are being left to develop in minor leagues at the correct pace. Not only that, but other guys like Josh Bailey get to play in lesser leagues while getting their overall game and confidence to a higher level.

The only downside of the lockout is that we would lose guys like Streit, Visnovsky, and Nabokov for nothing. Still I'd trade that for having our prospects more likely to reach their potential by playing outside the NHL for the right amount of time.
Gotta agree with this. And too bad deHaan and Kabanov are hurt for extended periods, they could really use the extra ice time.

On Bailey, he's going to tear up that league. I would have liked to see him in the AHL because I think he'd dominate that league as well, not to mention develop some good chemistry with Niederreiter, Nelson, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Donovan, etc.

But I believe he cannot play there because he wouldn't be waiver exempt (though I find that odd since there's no CBA - isn't it like "international waters" where no rules apply?)

Last edited by redbull: 11-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.