Thread: OT: Music
View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Nice; I was lucky enough to catch GBV about 13 years ago. Crazy how Robert Pollard just never seems to stop.

I'm going to have to try hard not to write a thesis here....lol.....I've been playing guitar since about 5 (27 years), drums, orchestral percussion, a few horns, bass guitar, keys.....you name it. Started with jazz guitar lessons, grew up on MTV in the early 90's training my ears to identify pitches and not require sheet music. If I'm locked in a room with an instrument for a week, I come out knowing a thing or two about playing it. I've been a music theory/strings instructor since my early 20's as well - teaching music is AWESOME.

Parlayed the passion into becoming an audio engineer/working productions and worked the boards for maybe 500 bands. Sebadoh, Pat Mastelotto (drummer of King Crimson), Graham Reynolds (Scanner Darkly soundtrack composer), Zooey Deschanel, Superchunk, Miike Snow, Minus the Bear......lots...and lot of bands. Got bored playing in bands with Austin's plethora of lazy hipsters and started making electronic music about 8 years ago and haven't looked back - it's nice to be able to work on a project where you're your own dead weight - no one to blame but you if it's never completed.

I'm actually leaving for Berlin on Thursday to do some backpacking and composing, as well as seeing an old buddy with a small electronic label in Paderborn who needs some engineering & mastering help.......and see the Boyz Noise/Spank Rock show conveniently 2 days after I land.

This is going to be an adventure....
Impressive resume! I hope things go well for you in Germany. I've been playing bass for about 20 years now, although not pro. I have been able to take the occasional jaunt to UK, Canada, or somewhere here in the Northeast though, and it's always great fun to get on the road.

Relying on others to make music can be incredibly frustrating! Good on you for doing everything yourself and not having to put yourself in a bad position. I'd love to do the same, only electronic music isn't quite my thing and I can't really play any other instruments as well as I can play bass.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote