View Single Post
Old
12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
None of these guys have the kind of market value (in terms of trade bait) that you suggest.

really, what proposal did I suggest?

And, I think you're going to have to ante up with more than a guy like Steen to get a true #2 dman for the cup chase. Not saying Toronto will give up that much, I'm saying that is what it will take

I never said that a deal with Steen in it wouldnt be fair, but giving up Stajan and Steen is too much of our future (we are justing starting to turn around our prospect group) for a guy who will be a UFA after the lock-out. It will be very easy to pick up a solid top 4 guy at the deadline, it already is, only this time teams will dump even better players because of the armagadden that awaits us!

1) I definitely agree that this is too much for Leafs to give up. I agree with maintaining your future. I've never thought a deal like that made sense for the Leafs.

As for what you proposed, you argued that Steen and Stajan > Hamrlik. I don't think that is true.

2) Hamrlik is an RFA, not an UFA.

3) At playoff time, you'll have 16 teams that are not going to be moving any dmen because they will need their guys for the playoffs. you'll have a bunch of other teams who are holding out hope to make the playoffs, and you'll have other teams that have no vet dmen of value to trade. The notion that good defensemen will be a dime-a-dozen at deadline time is without merit.