View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 02:50 PM
jd22

vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkinator View Post
No. A wave would not reach those heights, if it would then consider your self extremely unlucky. I would say 20m above sea level would be good, even 10m "could" be good enough in Victoria if for what ever reason you cant get higher. That doesn't mean a wave cant reach 85m but there are no records of earthquake generated tsunamis that high, the best guess is up to 30m max based on previous records. However our records are all based on recent geological events over the past few thousand years, geologically speaking this is just a blip in time. We could always shatter the records and be witness to something that happens only every several million years, some sort of mega plate bounce and a much larger sea floor deformation then anyone could imagine and a resulting mother of all tsunamis.

Obviously unlikely though, you might as well start preparing for a meteor hitting your car.

Also a landslide generated tsunami is more localized and the height of it drops quickly, if a slide in the delta were large enough to generate a 100m tsunami it would only be a few meters by the time it reached Victoria. The largest recorded landslide tsunami was in the 50's in Alaska and generated a 524m wave, however as it was just a land slide the amount of water displaced was low compared to what happens when a entire plate lifts, so by the time that wave reached the mouth of the inlet 8 km's away it was only several meters high. Mind you a delta slide could be a much larger displacement of water then what happened in Alaska that time.

Back to the point, 85m is completely fine...grab some binoculars.

/rant
The Alaska megatsunami was nuts. See here for some reading on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay

I watched a documentary on it awhile back and it boggles my mind that those people survived the wave in tiny boats.

jd22 is offline   Reply With Quote