View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
ContrarianGoaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Bill Durnan won the 1940 Allan Cup, 1 Allan Cup loss in 17 games, with the Kirkland Lake Blue Devils and went to the Allan Cup playoffs on three other occasions

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...durnabi01.html

Not many other goalies played on Senior teams that went to the Allan Cup playoffs in four consecutive seasons. Rather impressive record that was used as a plus for Durnan's career. Now you misrepresent his achievements. Why?
I was mainly referring to his performance in the QSHL for the Montreal Royals. Iain Fyffe discussed in the last voting thread about how Durnan's GAA results were not particularly good in that league, and the newspaper reports that I read about Durnan in the QSHL described him as "steady" and "dependable". The Canadiens had the mediocre Paul Bibeault in net for two straight seasons where they finished second-last in the league in goals against, and still didn't give Durnan a shot until 1943-44.

All that doesn't necessarily prove anything, but it does raise some question marks, particularly because Durnan had a short career and made it to the NHL relative late. You're probably right that Durnan's Allan Cup performances should add to his record (Durnan was apparently the 1940 amateur goalie of the year, which is to his credit). Maybe the Royals weren't that good and Durnan was better than his numbers suggested, I don't really know, I'd just like to see some strong evidence that Durnan was a truly dominant goalie and not just a good goalie on a dominant defensive team and it's tough to find it beyond high praise from some of his teammates and coaches.

ContrarianGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote