View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 04:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Going into the season we all thought this, but Mayer has been in beast mode. Even if it is a fluke Desjardins isn't going to give us much more than the Mayer we've seen this year.

Mayer has hardly been letting in soft goals, it's just that the Dogs aren't very good.
Mayer is looking much better but he's still inconsistent. Personally I think Desjardins can do much better as he will be more consistent and the players will hopefully feed off that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
that's exactly what I mean. I am not saying Mayer is better than Desjardins, I am saying that given the way the team has played, and the way Mayer has played, Desjardins won't make a difference. Anyway this is a developmental system. Winning 1-0 or 2-1 because Desjardins is playing god mode won't change the fact that the team in front of him is playing poorly, particularly on offense. I couldn't care less how Desjardins will fare in Hamilton, we already have Price and a back up goalie is easily obtainable in the NHL. What I do want, is the offense to spend a little more time in the offensive zone to give a rest on our back-end rookies. Beaulieu only has 1 assist, but given how the PP is doing, and how much time is spent in the Ozone, we can hardly blame him. (His shot needs to be more accurate)
The hope would be that with Desjardins, the team will be at ease more as they can trust him to be at his best consistently. It's not about winning 1-0 or 2-1, it's but the players being more relaxed when he's in net then when Mayer is in net, since we are talking about a goalie that has NHL experience and is already an AHL All Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I agree with this. I don't see Desjardins making much of a difference - he's less likely to melt down than Mayer potentially could, but S Bah and montreal were being unfair on Mayer, who was probably playing the best stretch of hockey in his life regardless of the stats. Desjardins is likely a bit better but he's a borderline NHL backup, not the messiah, and it's hardly the issue anyway.
Mayer actually had a better strech last year for a couple weeks he was red hot and got several shutouts over that span before coming back to earth. Desjardins should be a lot more then likely a bit better, as he was outstanding in the AHL last year and was really good with Hamilton before.