View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 04:56 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Just like GM, Ford etc are business partners in my scenario where they set up an "Entry Draft" for new workers. Does that make it legal in your eyes?

Except that the NHL is not a firm but a joint venture between independent clubs=firms. Players are not assigned to different offices of one firm in the NHL Entry Draft, they are assigned to different firms.
I'm not qualified to give a legal opinion, but I have no idea why you think the legality of entry drafts is in question. In any case your scenario assumes away the meaningful difference. Clearly GM and Ford are competitors, not business partners. Neither has any interest in the other being successful.

On the other hand, North American sports franchises in a league are in an industry where athletic competitions against other franchises is their product. Each franchise must have reasonably competitive opponents for the product to sell in the marketplace. The franchises that make up the league all have an interest in the collective strength of the league. They have collectively bargained with the players association to implement an entry draft.

Therefore Eric Lindros and other would-be NHL players do not get to choose the NHL franchise for which they play. They can play in the NHL as long as they meet the eligibility requirements and follow the rules. Just as they would have to do in any other league, any other sport, or any other industry.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote