View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 05:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
Joe Thornton is (or was) a superstar, no question, but there is (and was) a lot more to the Sharks' success on the ice than Big Joe. The goal tending depth (Nabokov + Kipursoff/Toskala?), for one, and all of it home grown.
Of course there's more to it, and it's not that San Jose didn't do a great job with their resources. But I would think that even Sharks fans understand how lucky they were to land a player like Thornton out of the clear blue. Without him, they have Pavelski as their #1 or they can try to overpay a Richards type UFA on the occasion that one is really open to the entire market. Either way, they aren't the same Cup-contending team on a budget without Thornton.

Quote:
The universal model is draft well, develop, keep your stars and supplement with the right FAs. That's how many of the top echelon teams have done it post the 04-05 lockout (Kings, Blues, Canucks, Penguins, Bruins) and it doesn't require a Kovalchuk blockbuster to do it.
I agree, and the NHL's attempt to extend FA ages is aimed at making that model more plausible for the Edmontons and Columbuses of the league. I think we'd almost all like to see a system where drafting and developing players is the path to being successful, but that's not what the players want (which is understandable).

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote