View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 05:35 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
If you want to add that season, it does very, very little in the overall picture of him. I think it hurts his legacy terribly that a team he captained 4 years earlier arguably could have been better without him when he's 28-29. Just hard to see another player like that dropping so quickly.
That season was just another very good season for Lindros, clearly not his best but definitely beneficial. I have a feeling that if we were just talking about player X instead of Eric Lindros, that kind of season would be far more appreciated.

As far as the Olympics go, it obviously does not hurt his legacy terribly. Would you say the same thing about Bryan Trottier in 1984? Canada performed better in 1984 when Trottier switched to USA at age 28 than they did three years earlier, and Trottier was still healthy too. For what it's worth, I also think that the 1998 team was better than 2002. Lindros was obviously limited by head injuries by that point, and yet he still made the most talented national team in the world. For someone with clear ego issues, he still took on a minor role for the benefit of the team. This is a small benefit for Lindros' legacy, but it is still a benefit.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote