View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Or maybe I'm way off and the players can choose to go on strike at anytime... if that's the case then why doesn't any of the PA's do so before the playoffs in the final year of the deal?
Strikes/Lockouts can only happen with no CBA.

Quote:
I know this is one of the pro-NHL sides key talking points, and I more or less agree with it in that the players should have gone to the negotiating table early (although that's completely countered by Bettman's brutal opening offer) and that the for the league it wasn't really feasible for the league to play one more year under the same rules. But I'm not entirely sold on the selling point that they were 'forced' to turn down a one year option, as surely there has to be some way for the league to protect themselves from a player strike.
The players didn't bargain because they didn't believe (based on the last lockout) that the owners would be either, and they've been proven right... the NHL has yet to bargain.

Quote:
I would imagine that part of the reason it worked so well in Baseball the first time is because the owners weren't expecting it. At the very least, if the law doesn't allow for any protections, you'd think an ownership group would be able to threaten the players that if they're thinking of striking just before the next playoffs then be prepared to miss an entire year.
If you don't mind jail threatening a union with a lockout is fine.