View Single Post
11-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Dennis Bonvie
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I'll say this, neither team - San Jose or NYR - does anything without their best player. Neither team is in the postseason. I don't think people look at that enough. For whatever reason it is either one side or another but it's not true. Cheechoo/SJ are nothing without Thornton and NYR are more or less a lottery team without Jagr. You can't bring up one without the other in my opinion.

I think at that time it made sense as well just like looking at it in hindsight. I mean, Thornton was very close to a 100 assist season. In any era, that's just insane. You are sure as heck valuable to your team when you set up 100 of their goals. I remember thinking that at the time.

Not like it matters, but in 2007 Thornton had 92 assists showing that it wasn't just a one trick pony thing in case anyone would ever want to use that excuse - in hindsight.

Well someone did mention he had 33 points in 23 games. Pro-rated over the full season and he has 118 points. This isn't to say he gets that on Boston, but who else was doing anything on those Bruins? Also, I'll say that the season was early, it was 1/4 of the way in. The new rules were still hard to adapt to and 23 games is hardly a volume of games to base your franchise player on. That being said, Mike O'Connell, the only GM in the history of the NHL to trade a Hart winner midseason, got fired at the end of the year for Boston and will never work as a GM again. That has to tell you something, no?
Like I mentioned before, 33 points placed Thornton out of the top 10 at that point in scoring. So many Power Plays early on that season made for a temporary scoring bonanza.

Seriously, you're a Bruins fan. Did the Joe Thornton that was winning the Art Ross Trophy with San Jose that year look anything like the half-hearted Joe in Boston? I think being the only player ever to win a Hart Trophy in a year he was traded says more about Thornton than O'Connell.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote