Old
11-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
How does Brimsek look weak after the war? Brimsek was the only goalie to be a Postseason All Star in all the three years following the war. In 1945-46, he was a 2nd Teamer despite missing part of the season and having to get back in game shape on the fly. In 1946-47, he was a 2nd Teamer again. In 1947-48, he lost the 1st Team on a tiebreak to Vezina winner Broda and was 2nd in Hart voting. Seems to me that Brimsek was arguably the best goalie in the world for the 3 years following the war (Durnan was obviously also in the conversation by this point).
Yeah, that's a really good point that I clearly didn't even recognize. I got so busy playing with the numbers that I didn't see the conclusions ahead of them. A rare instance where I got left in the fuzz of the math. Good call. You're right.

Quote:
Vezina at the time = modern Jennings trophy.
Yeah...I mean, I agree. But, that happened a lot percentage wise...I mean, I came to the conclusion that he's 3rd of the 40's goalies, so why make a counter-point to something I ultimately agree with anyway...

Quote:
I don't think so. Dryden has one of the best playoff records of any goalie ever. Durnan's playoff record was fairly disappointing, considering how strong his team was. Also, Dryden faced real competition for his All-Star teams, while Durnan only did for the last 3 or 4 of them.
I kinda meant on the "really good goalie, really good team and then he checked himself out" kinda deal...the playoff resume is why Dryden is no longer being discussed too. But I don't disagree with your conclusion. I probably should have been clearer initially anyway.

Quote:
Benedict had just finished his 18th year of professional hockey when the forward pass was allowed and pretty clearly was already on the slow decline.
Like I mentioned, he was 38 which is a big number for that day and age. So, I'm giving the benefit of the small doubt. It's a shame it falls like that, but what can you do.

Quote:
Peak vs longevity
Answer my question, damn it! I don't have time for your riddles...

Quote:
I'm not entirely sold that Parent was better than Espo either. But I am fairly certain that Belfour was better than Espo.
Belfour better than Tony O, huh? I do believe Belfour (and Esposito) are undersold here, as I've stated...I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on this Belfour > Esposito stance as well...so tricky to compare, Belfour is so out of sorts era-wise here...

Thanks for tolerating my wandering stream of consciousness in such an organized fashion...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote