Old
11-13-2012, 08:35 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Not sure how many times this I or someone else brought this up when Schenn was here but...it's easy to pump up your hit totals when you're hitting the guy 10-15 ft away from where the puck actually is. He's good at finishing his check, only problem is the guy he hits already made a pass or put it along the boards keeping the play alive. His mobility is a huge problem and it showed a lot.
This is something I always noticed as well. Sure, he wore down the opposition but he rarely made hits that took a guy off the puck.
Not sure I really agree with that, he was great at separating guys from the puck and making smart hits IMO. I thought he was a fantastic hitter, smart AND effective, he just wasn't very good at anything else. He was mediocre defensively other than his physicality, mistake prone in general, and offered very little offensively, but I certainly wouldn't question his hitting/physicality.

Good bottom pairing dman, with the upside to become a solid 2nd pairing dman, just not a tonne of upside. I think we got a higher upside player back in JVR, though he obviously has work to do too. One "project" type youngster for another.

Edit: heh, just realized this was a Morgan Rielly thread, we're definitely getting a bit off track here!