Old
11-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500

Darryl Sutter !!!

Awards and Achievements:
Stanley Cup Champion (2012)
Stanley Cup Finalist (2004)

Jack Adams voting: 3rd(2004), 4th(1993), 10th(1998), 10th(1999), 10th(2006), 11th(2001)

Coaching Record:
434-333-101-41 in 909 NHL Regular Season Games
63-58 in 121 NHL Play-off Games

San Jose increased their regular season point totals for 5 straight seasons under Sutter. He`s the only coach to ever accomplish this feat.

Apparently, Sutter’s caoching style noticably impacts his goaltenders:
http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.ca/2...altending.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleacher Report – May 29th, 2012
Darryl Sutter, now 53 years old, was born in Viking, Alberta and is part of a family that boasts numerous NHL players. Sutter was drafted 179th overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 1978 NHL draft. As a forward with the Blackhawks, Sutter registered 279 points in 406 regular season games and 43 points in 51 playoff games.

Sutter had previous success coaching both the San Jose Sharks and Calgary Flames. Under Sutter, the Sharks made the playoffs in five straight seasons between 1998 and 2002. In Calgary, Sutter took the Flames to the Stanley Cup final in 2004 and led them to a division title in 2006.

Sutter took over for Andy Murray as the Kings’ head coach this past December. Sutter once again was teamed up with Dean Lombardi, his former boss in San Jose. Sutter took a struggling, underachieving team and guided them to a 25-13-11 record in 49 games.

Sutter is an intelligent, quiet individual who brings a tough, no nonsense style to coaching. He is a blue-collar guy who expects a blue-collar effort from all his players, including his stars. Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty are just a few examples of players that Sutter has brought out the best in. The Kings play physical, have a strong forecheck and know what it takes to defend a lead.

Coaching Style:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ferguson Sr.
Darryl is a coach who will make your team better. He understands that players must play to their strengths. He is excellent at helping all players know what their strengths are, but most importantly he knows how to help them understand how those can translate to the team being better.

Darryl is direct, and there is little room for the players to perform on the margins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Brown
He made sure we’re attached to the games, getting into it from an emotional standpoint. It’s hard to play game 55 of the regular season if you’re not emotionally attached to it.

He’s an honest guy. If you’re playing like crap, he’s going to tell you. If you’re playing good, he’ll pat you on the back.

Anyone can respect that. That’s why players play for him.
[quote=Scott Hannan]There’s not much second-guessing what you supposed to do — and if you don’t do it, you don’t play too much. There were games like that early in my career. It makes you realize every shift matters and every shift counts. It made me a better hockey player.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Brown
I mean, he pushes the right buttons. You can do all the Xs and Os right, and if you’re not emotionally attached, it’s really hard to win in this league. He brought attention to that, pushing guys, patting guys on the back at the right times.

Maybe it’s a little bit of a cliche, but everyone’s equal in that room. If you’re a superstar or a role player, you’re expected to do the right things. He plays no favourites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Williams
He’ll just say: ‘Is this game too hard for you tonight?’ Just to get you angry. He knows what makes hockey players angry.

He holds the players to a standard that he thinks we should be at all the time. He knows the right time to be relaxed. He knows the right time when the team is feeling good about themselves and he brings us down a little bit. He just makes sure and pushes the buttons to make sure we’re ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Lombardi
He is an intense guy. He expects every guy on the team, to bring what he can bring. He knows how to do that. He expects you to do better than the guy you’re paying against.

Everyone bought into their roles. That’s really key. That’s how he coaches: he expects the guys ho can score to score, he expects the checkers to check, an guys buy into their roles and every guy in our team played a part in winning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lombardi
He blamed himself. He said he should have seen this sooner. He showed me what he was going to do on the board, the changes he was going to make systematically.

It was just really, a guy with his experience, he’s beating himself up: ‘This is my fault. It should have never got this far. We’ve got to make this adjustment.’ I found it amazing he was blaming himself.

He never forgets players win. It’s about players. He’s very much a player’s coach. The players that played for him when I hired him, how many texts I got from them. These are guys you want on your team, who admire him and still thank him for making (them) better.

Athletes have changed. But I think deep down, they still want to be pushed and they still want to be the best they can be. We put so much around them now, it’s easy to take the easy way. He doesn’t allow that.

Last edited by Dreakmur: 12-11-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote