View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Anchor Town*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It all depends on your size, the period over which you drank the beers, how long ago you had your last beer, etc. For a guy of Sheahan's size, a .17 BAC would correspond to roughly a dozen beers over about 3 hours. It's legit drunk, not just buzzed. I'm sure he would have been very dangerous on the road at this BAC, with a greatly enhanced risk of killing other drivers and/or pedestrians.

This doesn't make Sheahan the devil or anything, but driving drunk is an incredibly stupid, selfish act. You are literally putting lives at risk just so you don't have to take a cab/bus. There are roughly 10,000 to 14,000 drunk driving fatalities in the US alone, it's no joke. I definitely don't think it would be a bad thing if Sheahan spent a small amount of time in jail for this, it could serve as an effective wakeup call. When people do something like this, get caught, and DON'T get punished, it's basically encouragement to do it again.
Hence the wording "can". And as I was talking about the law itself not Sheahan's case. My point goes along with what you were saying though how everyone BAC is gonna be different and some can handle more alcohol much better, and .08 is pretty arbitrary