View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 10:17 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well, that's the thing. You only look at math. Sadly math is not the determining of whether or not a player gets overpaid on a given year or not.
Performance is what will determine if a player is overpaid or not, and the cap. So, you can have Kovalchuk taking in 20% of the cap alone, not providing 20% of the production, with the rest of the team playing like crap and finishing dead last. But that won't prevent Jeff Finger from getting 4M or Prust getting 2.5M, or whoever else. It's to the point where third and fourth liners also get overpaid. The only thing you have to balance it out are the youngsters.
Let's try again:

If the New Jersey Devils overpay for Kovalchuk, they have less cap space to spend on other players.

League-wise, player salaries are exactly 57% of revenue. If some players are overpaid, other players have to be underpaid.

Quote:
But that won't prevent Jeff Finger from getting 4M or Prust getting 2.5M, or whoever else.
The NHL has a total payroll of ~2 billion dollars split over 700 players. I expect that there are hundreds of players who are overpaid and hundreds who are underpaid.

You don't even know that Prust will be overpaid by the way, he could exceed your expectations. He is not currently overpaid as he has not yet done anything, and he has not yet been paid anything :-)

Quote:
Have you ever negotiated anything in life? Or sold something to someone else?
Yes, I don't try and screw people over. I value good working relationships. I try to be always upfront and direct about my expectations. Sometimes I don't succeed, and I consider that a personal failing.

Anyway, you are basically admitting that the NHLPA gets a better deal if they hold out longer. You're saying the first offer is always bad; so yeah, the NHLPA should hold out for the 20th offer. Even if you weren't around to teach this to the world, we would know, because we've just seen this happen :-)

Quote:
As for the future, again, nothing GUARANTEES a lockout.
Some outcomes are more likely than others. The Bettman plan is very likely to lead to another lockout as it doesn't solve any of the problems that contributed to this lockout.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-13-2012 at 10:25 PM.