View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 09:41 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
One of the issues that doesn't get acknowledged enough is that the Worldclass kids should be holding their own which they are not. They just had another minus day as a line in the AHL. People look at their points and figure thats enough. But if two number one picks and a 72pt NHL player can't outscore at EV on the AHL level thats a huge problem to have.
Its not just about veteran support. Its about the supposed best players in the world acting like it all over the ice and properly learning their roles.

Time after time on the weekend set I noted our juggernaut line out on the ice being incapable of even controlling the puck or getting it out of their own end. They spent complete shifts without the puck. Again a huge problem.

My concern being these young star players don't understand, don't comprehend what to do with a lock or trap or NZ pressure whether it occurs at the AHL, or NHL level.

They better damn well figure it out quick. Or they won't develop as much as we expect.
This allstar line should be dominating 5 on 5 everytime they touch the puck. They rarely even control the puck unless its a man advantage. You can't live on that bread alone and you won't get far as a player if you do.

Great players are great 5 on 5. That hasn't been happening.

Additionally if separated the players are establishing absolutely nothing with other linemates. They pretty much required being put together and now the results of that are underwhelming. Our allstar line quickly opened the game by getting scored against not once, but twice, both EV goals. Thats not providing leadership, thats paving the way for losses and against vastly inferior players.
That goes back to what i was saying about inexperience. I also don't like playing them all on one line. I prefer that they have an experienced player to not only provide defensive support but can also get dirty and dig out pucks along the boards. Hartikainen might not be great defensively or terribly experienced but he's a good fit with RNH and Eberle, that line was in sync when put together.
The problem i see with the Oilers team is that they don't have a guy like that. Smyth would have been ideal 2-3 years ago but he is no longer capable. It would have been nice to add a player like Clowe or Morrow.