View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 10:09 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes, others are underpaid, but not the exact same number, but I don't consider youngsters on first or second contracts to fall in the underpaid category, you do.
It's the exact same number. Total player compensation is fixed at 57%. If any player is overpaid, somebody else has to be underpaid.

Quote:
The only good deals you get are from youngsters, and as I said, you and I disagree on whether or not they fall in the underpaid column.
This is a simple math problem.

You are saying that you think it's fair that young players are paid less than veterans for comparable production. OK -- then that means you're saying it's fair that veterans are paid more than young players for comparable production.

ETA: If you want to evaluate veterans and rookies as separate pools, then do that. But that then means that if a veteran is overpaid, some other veteran is underpaid.

There are a lot of players who come through here in recent history and exceeded all expectations. Alex Kovalev, for example, gave us four 260 points over 4 years for the tidy sum of 4.75 million per year. Roman Hamrlik was healthy for a full four years during which he was our no. 2 dman for two years and our no. 1 dman for two years, and we saw the catastrophic collapse of our defense when he left... he was clearly worth many millions of dollars to Molson. Glen Metropolit, Dominic Moore, and Jeff Halpern all outplayed their ~1 million dollar salaries. Travis Moen fought frequently fought for us and provided good secondary scoring for 1.5 million. Tomas Plekanec gave us a 70 point season in 2009-2010 for 2.7 million. This past year, Erik Cole was signed to be a 20-25 goal player, and played as a 35 goal player.

Quote:
Well, if we follow that train of thought, let's pay him 5M and say we don't know if it'll be an overpayment.
Don't play dumb just to play dumb. Prust is not worth 2.5M at the moment of his signing.
I'm not playing dumb, there are decent odds that Prust will yield good value.

One of your pet peeves, which I share, is that Plekanec has been used in a very defensive role, reducing his offensive potential. Part of the reason this has been so is because our bottom-6 has been mediocre. With the addition of a player like Prust, who is effective in shutdown duties, who is effective on the penalty kill, any future coach will have a bit more flexibility, and Plekanec might be liberated into a more offensive role.

I think that if Prust, and Moen for that matter, lose negligible time to injury, perform well on the PK and shutdown thus liberating players like Plekanec to focus more on offense, and stand up for our players with good fights on a semi-regular basis, then we will get good value on their contracts.

If this succeeds, then Prust is being underpaid. If it fails, then Prust is being overpaid, and then we will spend less money on other players.

Quote:
can hold out all they want, doesn't mean it's advantageous to them.
Have the NHL's offers not been getting continuously better?

Quote:
Bottom line is, nothing is guaranteed.
I live my life paying attention to the likelihood of outcomes.

I'm not guaranteed to end up with a lottery ticket that doesn't win me 20 million dollars, but I don't buy them, because I probably won't win, even though it's not guaranteed that I won't win.

The point here, is that the Bettman plan doesn't solve any of the problems that led to the current lockout.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-13-2012 at 10:49 PM.