View Single Post
Old
11-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_Seven View Post
Alex Radulov is probably the most unfairly assessed player in recent memory.

He's one dimensional, despite never having been a minus player in the QMJHL/AHL/NHL/KHL. I'm sure he's always just been the beneficiary of linemates though, or we can throw out the old "plus/minus doesn't mean anything" argument too, but over a 9(ish) year sample size, something like that does mean something. He tore apart the QMJHL, he tore apart the AHL (small sample size, but still did), he put up respectable numbers in the NHL in his first two seasons, and then showed late last season, and during the playoffs, that he can put up solid numbers again. The KHL is basically Radulov's *****.

Sure, we can all agree that he's not the best player in the world, but he is still leading the KHL in scoring, even with the great NHLers like Malkin and Kovalchuk there (played less games than him though, so maybe they catch up).

Maybe Alex Radulov isn't "that" good, but then again, he seems to be showing right now in the KHL that he is. I think it's safe to say that his history of putting up points in every league he's gone to would have continued to translate over in the NHL.

I think the saddest part about this is that we may never truly get to know how good he would have been here in the NHL, but that certainly doesn't mean he's a lesser player. I think far too many people are still refusing to give any credit simply out of anger that he left.
Couldn't agree more, especially with the bolded part. When North American players get drafted in the KHL draft, people laugh, yet when someone snubs the almighty NHL, all hell breaks loose. And like someone above mentioned already, there's nothing wrong with being satisfied to play in Russia, if you like it there more AND you're getting more money to begin with. Personally, I find it refreshing to see someone who isn't enamoured by the West, and just does his own thing.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote