View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 12:33 AM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
I don't mean to be a dick but that doesn't clear it up.

The Q isn't "primarily 16-19 year olds" as you said. It is primarily 17-19 year olds with a few 16 and 20 year olds.

It should also be noted that the 18-20 year olds play a lot more than the 16-17 year olds.

Of the top 14 leading scorers on Jaskin's team, their ages are:
20: 2
19: 6
18: 4
17: 1
16: 2

Prince Edward Island's top 5 scorers are all 19 and 20, including 2 d-men that Jaskin probably has to face.

Yeah Jaskin is on the older side but there are a lot of player's his age in the league and he is going up against a lot of those players.

I just don't want it to sound like Jaskin is facing 16-17 year olds. He is actually facing a lot of guys right around or at his age.

This is for the benefit of people who are unfamiliar with the QMJHL. I'm not calling you out or anything.

You are certainly right that Jaskin should probably be doing well and that if he were 17 that it'd be more impressive. However, I think he is doing so well that being impressed is warranted.
Why would you look at things based on who the leading scorers are?? Of course most of the leading scorers are going to be the older players and of course the older players are on average going to get more icetime too. That means nothing.

I don mean to be a dick either but I also point out what I point out so folks that aren't as knowledgable about Jr hockey thinks Jaskin is better than he is and he gets overhyped. Fans tend to overhype prospects quite a bit, especially ones that don't understand the intricacies of Canadian Major Jrs and/or why age is a big factor in the Jr game, thus why hiw old a player is when he accomplishes something in Jrs matters - because history says it's highly correlated.

Whatever though. It's somehow coming across that I'm down on Jaskin and that couldn't be farther from the truth. I was one of the few saying a year ago that he shouldn't be written off and that he looked quite a bit better when he played against his peers (WJC) and not against men while being stuck on the 4th line if a pro team. It's all about perspective and context. Just like we needed to keep the context of him playing in a pro league as a 17-18 yr old in mind and thus that would help explain his poor stats the last two seasons, we now need to keep in mind the context that he's a 19 yr old playing in a Jr league and not overhype him. That's it.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote