trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Career Playoff PPG:
Jagr 1.050, 25th all-time
Fedorov 0.962, 44th all-time
(Yzerman 0.944, 52nd all-time)

0.106 PPG separates 25th from 52nd overall.
lol?
That's still 9 points per 82 games and who knows what hr's gp cut off was.

Also, for all of this harping on Fedorov's goals during the regular season and "legendary postseasons"... his playoff gpg was quite low.

J. Jagr = 39th = 0.433 = 36 goals / 82 gp
Forsberg = 46th = 0.424 = 35 goals / 82 gp
Fedorov = 176th = 0.284 = 23 goals / 82 gp

Quote:
Literally the only thing that Forsberg was better at "offensively" than Fedorov was using his linemates.
Forsberg was a heck of lot more consistent than Fedorov too. You forgot that one and it was a huge one to forget considering the g-i-g-a-n-t-i-c discrepancy between these two players in that respect.

Quote:
As such, there's only so much credit you can really give Forsberg for "what could have been" when it's realized that his career value doesn't quite stack up to Fedorov's, and efforts must be made to boost the profile of his prime.
What could have been?
Between 1995-2003:
- he was 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 12th and 17th in scoring
- he was 1st, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 6th in PPG.
- he finished 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 11th for the Selke.

He blew away Fedorov's best seasons because he was consistent.

What was the "credit" or projection that we was supposed to be making us overrate Forsberg? ... The fact that we believe that he could have easily faded away into obscurity for the better part of the last 12 years of his career the way that Fedorov did?

Quote:
Just to remind you, I had Yzerman and Sakic higher than these other two guys in terms of career value/"all-time" ranking. That you don't find it close, especially considering Fedorov's trump card of having furthermore transitioned into an effective and productive defenseman by the end of his career... I dunno. Pretty special talent, really.
Really? It sounds pretty trivial to me that he occasionally played as a defenseman. That hardly seems like a "trump card" against players who had much better and more consistent careers than he did because he didn't take that to any impressive heights. It's not like he won the Golden Glove at catcher, second base and center field. Nope, he just played forward and defense... just like many mediocre players have through league history.

Quote:
If one prioritizes goal scoring as a measure of offensive ability, though, are you saying they're wrong for pointing to Fedorov's history of consistently out-scoring Forsberg? We don't have to weigh them the same, as long as we agree that it's completely subjective.
Fedorov finished 3rd, 14th, 18th, 19th and 25th in goals in his best seasons, because he he wasn't an elite goalscorer (or point producer).

Quote:
Woah, Fedorov wasn't "elite for a long time"? Do I necessarily have to subscribe to your definition of "elite" and "long time"? I really don't see how Fedorov doesn't have plenty of impressive seasons to stack up against Forsberg's aggregate measure.
He wasn't elite for a long time. He had a decent start to his career, a very short peak and then (for the most part) faded away for the last 12 years of his career.

Without his 1994 season, he's Rod Brind'amour on a better team throughout the rest of his 17 seasons.

FedorovPts RkG RkSelke
1998xxx
2006xxx
2007xxx
2008xxx
2009xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I understand that Fedorov is not an elite offensive machine but in my mind the guy is still a top 10-15 of his generation. His stats are tough to read since many times he was put on defense in a game and many more times he was asked to shadow a player the entire game or play as a 3rd defensemen.
He was put on defense "many times" or rarely/infrequently/enough to be interesting, but not enough to matter?

Many other players put up better offensive numbers in the past 25-30 years than Fedorov did. Start with anybody who finished in the top-10 in goals or points more than 3 times total for both categories throughout their entire careers.