Old
11-14-2012, 03:07 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
MLB had this opportunity.

After the Supreme Court ruled the reserve clause unconstitutional, the MLBPA could have made every player in baseball a free agent every year. They agreed to the six-year reserve system THEN unrestricted free agency, because they knew that flooding the market wouldn't escalate salaries like limiting the flow of free agents.

There simply isn't a vast difference between the quality of players if everyone is available. There's tiers of players, but the reason guys like Suter and Parise broke the bank was because they were the best of a small number of players available.

With the supply of players at total supply, the demand the players are used to wouldn't be there. Would Parise get a max deal if Stamkos, Malkin, Ovechkin and the top 50 players in hockey are also available?

Every player would EXPECT a big pay day like free agents get now… but that desperate market would be there. There'd actually be less total cap space than there was in the summer because of the new CBA and a lower cap.

There would be middle-tier guys turning down offers and finally having to take paycuts because everyone ran out of cap room.

(If I were a GM, I'd target second/third tier guys and sign as many as I could while the other teams waste their cap space. I'd go for a deep roster rather than a star-studded one.
Not everybody is under contract at the moment anyway. So that won't affect every players out there and if the out clause is on a case by case basis I expect 1/4 of the players under contract to take the out and the rest will likely keep their current contract because the market won't be all that great anyway. No the guys who will get screwed will likely be those who don't have contract and will have to negotiate one in a market where almost all the cap space will be directed at snatching some really interesting UFA. Also If the PA and NHL negotiate a one time out clause I expect onwers will also want one to free up some cap space, am looking at you Geoff Molson! Also for the bad news I don't see a system like that taking place unless the season get cancelled and a deal is in place before next Summer.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote