View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I think management realizes they have no fans lol. I mean they've won 2 WS in what, 15 years, and they still have no fans lol. I don't think baseball works in Florida.
Anyone who defends the management of the Florida Marlins should be embarrassed. Building a fanbase is as much about trust as anything. You buy season tickets BEFORE a team plays. If they win, then immediately trade away everyone or lose and trade away everyone, then how in the world can someone commit to buy tickets or renew a season ticket package?

Look at the Nationals. If they traded away everything they had because they didn't get the fan commitment from day one, they'd be where the Marlins. Building that fanbase takes more than a year. What really happened is that Loria swindled the city of Miami into building him a new stadium with mostly public dollars. Now, he gets to rake in the revenue sharing, limited concessions, limited ticket sales, TV rights, etc all with a payroll around 20-25 million. This is 100% about profitability and not about building a brand. He did the same thing in Montreal and why MLB let him own another team is really beyond me.

As bad as attendance was last season, the Marlins turned a profit.