View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not sure how things are going for the UFC. I know it's become a lot more mainstream for a while, and although it's good, I always felt it could have some negative impact.
I remember having discussions a few years back here about the UFC. I remember saying that White is only thinking about becoming more mainstream, but I felt it worsened the match ups and rivalries. Too many fighters, too many shows, too many new comers, same format, always.
Maybe it's just me, but I used to watch every fight possible, and I couldn't wait for the next PPV. But now, you get the ultimate fighter, fight nights, sometimes two PPVs a month, UFC on Fox, UFC on Fuel TV, UFC on FX...it never ends.
Too many fighters means the UFC has a hard time finding true contenders. So many average fighters in the UFC that came from his shows. I think it's made the UFC as a whole a lot more average.
His TUF show brings in less than 1M viewers a week, that's pretty, pretty weak. They are already doing season 17, yet the 16th one is still underway. 17 seasons in 8 years, that's more than 2 seasons a year.

Making the UFC mainstream has made it less special. Now, I don't think mainstream is all bad, but there's just too much of it out there now.
Exactly, I used to be the same way as you but now there's way too many UFC events. There's one PPV a month, one UFC on Fuel or FX and then there's Ultimate Fighter. It becomes like wrestling where that much MMA is too much and becomes redundant. The UFC became main stream in the first place because it was unseen stuff for our generation back then and it was totally NEW. But Dana White and the Fertitta brothers have been milking it down as much as they can while it's still popular which is a perfectly understandable thing to do from a business POV, but from a fan's POV it just makes me lose interest because I don't have that much time to invest for a sport that I watch on the side. Especially with the PPVs that UFC has been offering where there's a good main event and one good fight on the main card then nothing.

The fact that there's so many events now has made the UFC's standards on fighter much lower, with so many events they need a lot more bodies to fill up those preliminary cards and main cards. The UFC used to be the place where the best MMA fighters would fight but now with such a huge demand there are a lot of fighters that shouldn't be in the UFC right now. The introduction of new weightclasses like the bantamweight and flyweight divisions didn't really help in that department either.

They should honestly change The Ultimate Fighter format because the fighters getting in the UFC are getting weaker and weaker by the season. The past seasons except for the Bisping Mayhem Miller one hasn't really produced any fighters in recent years so that goes to show you that if a) it's not warranting any attentions from fans like you said and b) it doesn't produce any good UFC fighters, they should stop doing the show.

The best thing that UFC could right now is expand in unknown territories like they're doing right now in Sweden and China because NA as a whole (unless it's in a city that UFC hasn't gone to like Calgary this year) has lost interest in MMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
Let me guess...you're one of them Nick Diaz ******** fanboys arent you?
I like the Diaz brothers for how they fight but no it has nothing to do with that. I just don't get why GSP is the poster boy of the UFC and why people get excited for his fights when they're nowhere near the most exciting in the UFC. FWIW I thought Condit won his fight against Diaz.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote