Thread: Prospect Info: 2012 Prospect Thread IV
View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
I don't really know that their stats are as comparable as people make out either. The seasons being compared are the first year after being drafted. Gillies had a 24-23-47 stat line in 58 games and Bulmer had 18-31-49 in 57 games. Despite the point totals, they're rather different in composition with goals making up over half of Gillies' points but only a hair over a third of Bulmer's.

More important than just the difference in composition is looking at their respective roles on their teams. Gillies put up 47 points which was good for second on his team and 24 goals which led the team. Judging from what I've seen and heard, he was in a top line role on a bad team. In that position he was given the best opportunities to perform, and he didn't really. Bulmer was on a much better team, but also played in a second/third line role as an agitator. He put up a team worst -12, but distributed the puck better than Gillies ever did.

Bulmer also had the advantage of another WHL season while Gillies was thrown dumbfounded into the NHL. In that extra year, he put up 34 goals and 28 assists on a mediocre team. In fact, over his shorter WHL career (only 178gp compared to Gillies' 195) he put up almost as many assists (86) as Gillies put up total points (91).

Any other issues aside, I think the only way Bulmer's stats are similar to Gillies is if you look only at a single year's point totals. Looking at the year before, Bulmer put up 33% more points (same goal total, 10 more assists) than Gillies. If you look at time afterward there isn't a sufficient sample to compare to.

/one extra note, WHL playoff stats Bulmer 25gp 8-8-16, Gillies 10gp 0-0-0