View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Come on , Fehr started a strike in Baseball right in the middle of the season , he had the US at his feets in the 94 strike that destroyed , once and for all the expos . Fehr care only about one thing , to be right and win , The guy is on a power trip and have an ego the size of free willy ( well i wanted to say the size of my ex's mom , but you guys dont know her )

forget about the 50/50 , that they wanted to play without a deal everything else the players are crying about on TV . The fact is that the salaries have raised like crazy and no matter what, none of them will lose any money in the long run . Except for those guys who are fighting to be and stay in the NHL and trust me none of the players who makes millions and Fehr care about those AHL/4th lines guys.

Last week , everyone were high on that news that Maybe they were close to a deal and that the two parties are talking seriously on an agreement to play hockey soon ... the next day Maxim Talbot and david Deharnais put their signatures on a contract to go play in Europe ... what ? That's not what i would call good faith on the player side.

Fehr have one thing in mind , to come out on top no matter what and i suspect that if he could, he would take away that cap completely in the new CBA. Dont forget the rumours about the possibility of a soft cap , last week .

In all the 30 teams , i would say that only 10 teams +/- are making alot of money and the rest of the teams struggle to make profit and in some case some of them dont make money.

...But in the mean time you see guys like J. Eberle who was making a little under 1.2 million this year, on his entry contract and boom!! will make 6millions next year ... poor players, that's something like a 600% raise +/-.

That's what's wrong with Hockey , if you ask me .
As far as blame goes, both parties are at fault but does Donald Fehr really think the average fan keeping tabs on the lockout is THAT dumb? "We would have been fine starting the season under the current CBA..." Oh really? You can't even show up for a 10am meeting until 4pm, I'm sure the league would love to schedule bargaining sessions in October only to have you show up in March.

As far as the 2nd part, I'm not sure I necessarily agree. Eberle is one of the best offensive players in the NHL. A $6M per year contract, isn't out of whack for what he's been able to bring to the table for the past 2 years when you compare him with others, so the only issue is that he's still only 22 years old. Pay him now or pay him later, you're still paying him. As long as you're not paying him a huge amount because he might potentially play at that level, I don't really have a problem with this.

In the end, Fehr is an idiot because the players are NOT going to win this. It's generally STILL the same owners who were there when the league shut down last time and there's no real indication that they won't do it again. If anyone on the NHLPA really believes they are well served by waiting this out, they are sorely mistaken and it's a huge miscalculation. When you think about an NHL player, this is what they do, this is ALL they do. When you think about an NHL owner, let's say Stan Kroenke, he's got a bunch of projects here an there. He likes having an NHL team but in many ways, it's like a toy...one of many that he has and if it goes on the shelf for a while, so be it. Now, obviously, that's an oversimplification but basically, I really don't understand how any logical, reason-minded NHLer can think of this any other way. The players just aren't going to win in the end. It maybe sad, it might even be completely unfair, but it's just the way it is.

There was an article yesterday on TSN.ca and quotes from Mark Recchi, who went through THREE lockouts and he's 100% correct.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409406

Then I see retweets from players and media that Recchi should shut up because he's not a player anymore. Jeez guys, why don't you try to learn from his experience? He's got nothing to GAIN by saying what he thinks, it's not like the owners are giving him money to say this, it's just how he feels.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote