View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 11:28 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

Ugh, look at some of those names in there. Lalonde and Taylor on the 3rd team? How seriously can we take this?
The 1925 MacLean's team was done by position, so I don't think it's strange. They specifically did not include a "rover" position, which was Taylor's primary position and they ended up just sticking him in there as a LW which I guess is strange. Nalyd also found an article accusing the team of East Coast bias, so there's that.

As for center, I don't see anything strange with listing Frank Nighbor and Russell Bowie over Newsy Lalonde, especially considering Lalonde spent some time as a rover himself.

I see the defensemen and centers on that list falling about as they should. Other than Moose Johnson (forgetting another west coast player), the defensemen on that list follow the early defensemen on our Top 60 list very closely - you have Sprague Cleghorn and Hod Stuart first, Eddie Gerard and Georges Boucher second, Lester Patric and Joe Simpson third. We included Harvey Pulford and not Joe Simpson on our top 60 list (which I'm starting to question), but other than that, it's very similar to what we had.

Cy Denneny is a notable omission as a LW, though he doesn't appear to have been all that highly thought of by those who watched him play, despite his gaudy stats.

If nothing else, i think it's an excellent snapshot as to the perceptions of Eastern players as of 1925 with a few Western players thrown in

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 11-14-2012 at 11:49 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote