View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 11:28 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
It remains be seen what will happen. This trade doesnt magicly transform a perennial bottom feeder like the Jays into a team that can challenge the might of the East. Of course, it makes them better, but there are teams that are much more adapted to winning, such as the Rays and Yankees, who either have deep pockets and/or a great system to keep pumping out championship quality teams to compensate any move a team in their division makes. This trade does indeed make the Jays better, but it will also put the GM's on those teams on notice to use whatever assets they have to build a better team. I will put my money on the Yankees and Rays every day of the week and twice on sunday that they pull some magic out of their hats to do something productive this off season. The Jays are a mediocre team, and have been for a long time. One huge trade doesnt suddenly make them the class of the east is all I am saying.
Personally I don't think the Rays are going to be hard to compete with. Yes they might have a great system and have recent history of going to the World Series in 2008 and making the Playoffs in 2010 and 2011. However one thing that they never do is spend the money to re-sign their star players. So if they keep letting them leave via free agency there is only so many times when their system of young players can help them win. For a number of years the Blue Jays have brought up a lot of their minor league players with a few free agent signings and it didn't work, so now they needed to try something new.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote