Thread: Wheres Harry??
View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
DaBroons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Had the B's drawn anyone but Edmonton in 1988 and 90. They likely win a couple of Cups. Edmonton was a machine of a team that hasn't been matched since, and probably never will be. Same can be said for the 91 pens.

They don't even get there w/o genius trade no one else in hockey saw, Cam Neely for Barry Pederson. Not sure if it's true, but I've heard Harry intervened at the draft table to insist on Ray Bourque.

Acquiring Dave Poulin wasn't an effort to better the team? That's coming from someone who absolutely loved "the Rat". Dave Christian? Adam Oates for Craig Janney?

After Neely was hurt, Harry did try to improve the team. Someday Bruins fans will realize 50 goal scorers are simply irreplaceable. Especially ones that make the opposition's nuts crawl up their insides and hide. Kevin Stevens, Iafrete deals both blew up in his face like a bomb. He even trades for a Vezina winning goalie, Jim Carey, and his career fizzles out before our eyes. No argument, those deals hurt more then they helped. We have something he didn't, hindsight. After that, the guy was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. He should have walked right there.

I have my beefs w/ Harry, and JJ for that matter, but to say Harry never gave us a chance to win is revisionist history.
So you are saying that if we didn't play the best team, we would have had a chance to win the cup. ROTFL.

How about if we didn't play Montreal in the 70s, we would have won more cups.

For the record, Sinden was going to draft Portland Dman Keith Brown in the first round of 1979. Chicago took him with the previous pick, so that was out. Maybe Sinden ONLY THEN insisted that Bourque was the next best player, but Bourque surely wasn't his first choice that day. The source also said on draft morning that the Bs would take Keith Crowder, which they did. My source was none other than the legendary Globe writer Fran Rosa.

Sinden made his reputation on several great trades, Park, Middleton, McNabb, and Neely among them. He also had several disastrous trades like Iafrate and Stevens.

Trading for often-injured players is extremely risky, as was drafting Kluzak instead of Brian Bellows. Kluzak had severly injured a knee his last season in juniors and Sinden drafted him anyway. Why? Because his agent was demanding too much money of course. There's a door in my old house in Framingham that probably still bears the scars of the beating it took when Sinden announced Kluzak was his choice. Overall, his draft record was not good. Any reasonable person would have drafted future 50-goal scorer Bellows.

The trades he failed to make were the big ones that could have put the team over the top. He seemed to not want to take the risk, despite the fact that the Espo trade was a huge risk and it paid off.

DaBroons is offline   Reply With Quote