View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
What "filler"?
The non-starters. Or, as you put it "the goalies under 150 starts".

Quote:
I'm still not seeing what's so great here. In fuhr's absolute best five-year stretch, he is closer to the league average (.876) than he is to the best. And I'm not talking about the average of these better goalies, which is .879, I'm talking about the actual league average.
First of all, his "best" stretch has to be considered the Gretzky era, but since I only have SV% numbers for '83/84 onward, I can only comment on his "best" 4 year stretch. And Fuhr's 0.884 is much closer to 0.894 at the top than it is to #27 on the 150+ games list, Brodeur (Richard), at 0.864. But really, the point isn't to praise him for statistical "excellence" as much as top level consistency, which so many people seem to throw aside as trivial. I mean, not only is his SV% not as low relative to his peers as many might assume, he established it over a pretty much 50% larger sample size of shots faced than the vast majority of the "competition".

No need to make that any bigger than it is, but it would be nice to see it at least recognized for what it is.

Quote:
When you do that, you're cutting off the starts and ends of a lot of good goalies' careers and not Fuhr's.

As another example, I could say "from 1973-1982, Esposito played 87 more games than any other goalie, and at least 200 more than all but three others". It's not really saying much. It's disingenuous, to be honest.
What's "disingenuous" about that? He did play that many more games than all but those 3. What are you trying to say from that, though? If I point to that, and say Esposito was a workhorse compared to most other goalies of the time, am I really using that stat disingenuously? I don't think so. If there's a goalie with a SV% only a point or two higher on that same list, am I wrong to give the "benefit of the doubt" to someone who established the almost negligibly higher SV% over a consecutive sample size that's 200 games larger? I don't think so there, either.

Quote:
Fuhr was somewhat of a workhorse, as the above chart demonstrates, but not really special in that regard on an all-time level, when we look at all seasons for all goalies and not periods that are especially complementary to one goalie and not another.
That chart demonstrates that there are only 8 goalies since expansion to be leaned on as often as Fuhr, relative to his peers. I see him there ahead of other guys who wear the moniker "workhorse" like Hextall, Luongo, Roy, Hasek, etc.

And yet still, on a team that was supposedly so defensively suspect (the Gretzky Oilers), his individual performance in terms of SV% was right up there with the best from the period, suggesting that his GAA shouldn't necessarily be held against him (in raw form) as strongly as you often see.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote