Thread: Sergei Fedorov
View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
1) I'm willing to sit down and read whatever you can put together in terms of a consistency argument for Forsberg. I can't wait to see just how "gigantic" the divide is between them in this regard.
No you're not. I've read your posts all thread and there is no other 'truth' than Fedorov was elite throughout his entire career and is one of the very best to have ever played the game.

In Forsberg's first 9 seasons;
- he finished top-20 in scoring 7 times and top-10 x 5 times.
- he finished top-6 in ppg 7 times.
- he finished top-11 for the Selke 5 times.

After Fedorov's short peak of elite offensive play during the same 3 full seasons that Coffey was on the team, he couldn't crack the top-25 in any offensive category for 6 years in the regular season. He was 26-31 years old, he should have been in his prime.

Quote:
2) How biased do you have to be to describe Fedorov as having 12 seasons where he was lost in obscurity? How about this as one of his final acts in the NHL:

Fedorov became the oldest player to score a game-winning goal in a Game 7 (39 years, 136 days). It was his third goal in a Game 7 and the 12th playoff game-winner of his career.

"He's our leader," said Ovechkin, who was on the ice for the winning goal. "He's our best guy in the locker room. He showed it. He's our best guy. He has more experience than anybody in this locker room. He knows how to play like that. He just shows his leadership."

"He's got quite a shot," said Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau. "When he has the chance to get that thing off he can shoot it, and he did tonight. Experience sometimes pays off and he knew what he had to and when to do it. That's what makes him one of the greatest players ever.
" (source)
Your proof that he was an elite player in his last 12 seasons was that the 1 goal he scored in 14 playoff games (after an 11 goal regular season) was an overtime winner in a Game 7?

Wow!

Quote:
3) "Trivial" that he "occasionally" played as a defenseman, as "many mediocre players have done in the past"? Hahaha, wow dude, hate harder (if you can). But wait, it "sounds" trivial to you? Well, having actually watched it, it was less than trivial, but I guess you'll just have to take my (and Devellano's, and Bowman's, and many others') word for it.
Carkner, Campoli, Lee, Schubert, Norton and Phillips played both forward and defense for Ottawa over the past 15 years alone. Not to mention that Alfredsson led the team to 1st, 2nd and 4th overall PP finishes as the full time PPQB (IIRC, the team has never finished above 9th or 10th otherwise). He would have been 31st, 22nd and 18th in scoring as a D-man based on his PP points alone in those seasons.

Now multiply stories like that by another 28 teams and dozens of other players.

Yes, trivial!