View Single Post
Old
11-14-2012, 02:03 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
First of all, his "best" stretch has to be considered the Gretzky era, but since I only have SV% numbers for '83/84 onward, I can only comment on his "best" 4 year stretch. And Fuhr's 0.884 is much closer to 0.894 at the top than it is to #27 on the 150+ games list, Brodeur (Richard), at 0.864. But really, the point isn't to praise him for statistical "excellence" as much as top level consistency, which so many people seem to throw aside as trivial. I mean, not only is his SV% not as low relative to his peers as many might assume, he established it over a pretty much 50% larger sample size of shots faced than the vast majority of the "competition".
Closer to the top than the bottom, yes. That doesn’t make what I said untrue. He was closer to the average than the top.

Quote:
What's "disingenuous" about that? He did play that many more games than all but those 3. What are you trying to say from that, though? If I point to that, and say Esposito was a workhorse compared to most other goalies of the time, am I really using that stat disingenuously? I don't think so. If there's a goalie with a SV% only a point or two higher on that same list, am I wrong to give the "benefit of the doubt" to someone who established the almost negligibly higher SV% over a consecutive sample size that's 200 games larger? I don't think so there, either.
I explained already why it was a poor argument.

Quote:
And yet still, on a team that was supposedly so defensively suspect (the Gretzky Oilers), his individual performance in terms of SV% was right up there with the best from the period, suggesting that his GAA shouldn't necessarily be held against him (in raw form) as strongly as you often see.
Anyone who holds his GAA against him is looking at the wrong number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Point was that 1927-28 thru the 11930-31 contraction the NHL featured two teams that were for all intents and purposes minor league quality. Readers got this point.
As opposed to 1944 and 1945, when four of six teams were minor league quality. That looks great for Durnan, hey?

Quote:
Back to Esposito. The point was about the 1971 and 1973 Finals not one goal in game 7 which is your interpretation.

1971 Finals. Hawks go into Montreal leading 2-0 in games. Esposito goes into the tank. Stops 75 of 88 shots,.852 SV% in Montreal, 12 of 16 in game 6,blowing a 2 goal lead, forcing a game 7 where he blows another 2 goal lead. Reasonable goaltending and game 7 does not happen. Saying he was possibly the best player in the 1971 playoffs is inaccurate.

1973 Finals. Probably the worst goaltending performance in the SC Finals since 1967 amidst worst 3 all time. Esposito played 6 games giving up 33 goals = 5.6 GAA on just 190 shots = .826 SV%. Twice he blew 2-0 leads in games, once he allowed a 4-0 lead to reach 5-4 before the Hawks won 7-4.

Again, not just one goal but two very bad series.
The 1973 finals were bad. I never said they weren’t. But 6 consecutive games don’t prove anyone to be “inconsistent” for their career.

1971 does an even worse job of proving inconsistency. Granted it was his worst series but his aggregate numbers were outstanding. What you’re describing sounds a lot like 2012 Brodeur but with much better aggregate stats. If you think he was that bad in the last 5 games of the finals, then his seasonal numbers just demonstrate how much more instrumental he was through game 2 of the finals, than you even realize. In other words, they dragged him all the way down to .928, in a season where the league averaged .906. So how high was his sv% leading into game 3?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote